Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 0.475" ROD

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
On 2020-02-06, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Bob La Londe" wrote in message

Several batches of electronic components from them were out-of-spec
rejects, though still usable. For example "75V" gas discharge
voltage
limiters conducted at either under 70V or over 80V.

Sounds like the rejects which are sold through some low-budget
vendors.

Who is the "them" from "from them"? If a low budget vendor, it
could easily be the rejects after testing and separately selling
those
that passed to a high-dollar vendor. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

Them's Amazon. Radio Shack components sometimes showed a gap around
the nominal value too, for instance no 10% resistor would be within 5%
of nominal since those that were sold separately for more $. The
measured breakdown voltage of their diodes and bridges could be
anywhere from slightly below spec to far above it, but below a higher
spec, ie 450V for a 50V bridge.

I only bought the brass rod to reach $25 for free shipping, as it's a
size I don't have in my stock, and will be turned down smaller anyway.
I need steel shafting to be correctly sized to fit bearings but for
brass or aluminum that doesn't I have small 3 and 6 jaw chucks on 5C
mounts that are better than collets for moving the work between lathe
and mill because they stay clamped.

I have a lot of experience testing electronic components so I don't
mind buying cheaper out-of spec parts and confirming they'll work for
my one-off designs. I was the repair tech for the testing machines
Analog Devices used to ensure their op amps meet specs.

Most DC parameters can be measured with a voltage and current limited
power supply. Usually the data sheet gives everything you need to
know, such as the reverse current at the breakdown voltage. High speed
production testing uses brief pulses to avoid heating but you can test
a few parts mounted on a heatsink.

This can measure milliAmps with a different shunt. The current trimpot
range is quite wide, I set it to 199.9mA and 19.99mA with 0.5 Ohm and
5 Ohm shunts.
https://www.droking.com/Digital-Mult...Shunt-Resistor

Type T thermocouple wire is a source of Constantan for low current
shunts. The exact resistance of the shunt doesn't matter as long as
you can trim the reading to match a DVM in series.