Travis Jordan

Default Kitchen faucet replacement

Doug Kanter wrote:
The kitchen sink in my apartment has what I believe is an off-brand
clone of a Delta single handle faucet. There's not a name or marking
on it anywhere, and I can't believe Delta would produce a faucet
without at least a small brand indication. Anyway...that's not the
issue, at least not entirely.

/snip/
I believe the variable in this case is the
flexible supply tubes. The last time I installed a faucet (Delta, 10
years ago), the tubes connected via compression fittings. It worked,
but I wasn't impressed with the idea. Here in my apt, I've followed
those tubes with my hand and they seem to meet up with another
hex-shaped fitting attached to the little pipes that are part of the
faucet. The question: What is the likelihood that I'm dealing with
nice, easy threaded fitting?

A) High probability
B) 50/50
C) If you want to go fishing this weekend, the chances are ZIP and
you'll need an acetylene torch.

Final answer: A. If you are lucky you can remove the faucet with the
compression-fitted extension tubing attached. Otherwise, use an
open-end wrench to hold the (upper) hex-shaped fitting on the tube
directly connected to the faucet while you use another open-end wrench
to unscrew (counter-clockwise) the extension tube. Replace the
extension tubes when you replace the faucet and avoid a bunch of
headaches. I like the short stainless steel hoses that the big box
stores sell for this purpose.