Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default fan belt

In article
,
Tim+ wrote:
I've just done a quick Ebay search on viscous couple engine driven
fans, and the very first one came up as being for a car made up to 8
years ago.

Over to you to prove no current car has one.

No, fair enough. It‘s just a long time since I‘ve seen one. Most of my cars
over the last 25 years or so have been transverse engine, FWD. It is
possible the my Jag XF had a viscous coupled fan, but I never looked. ;-)

I'd certainly agree electric is likely the most common these days. Not so
sure about larger traditional layout RWD from the likes of Jag, BMW, Merc
etc. I'd guess the costs of a powerful electric fan and the alternator
needed to drive it have come down, relatively.

The last car that I had that definitely had a viscous coupled fan was a
Volvo 240 which always gave a distinctive ”roar• on start up from cold
until the coupling started slipping.

And the racket they can make when the rad temp makes them lock up. Which
doesn't last long. Apart from rear engined buses in London on a hot day.
Talk about noise pollution. ;-)

--
*It doesn't take a genius to spot a goat in a flock of sheep *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.