Posted to rec.woodworking
John McGaw John McGaw is offline

Default Table Leg Repair part Deux

On 2/26/2020 6:02 PM, Hawk wrote:
I had a chance to look at the table leg and it was a clean break. I slid
the leg back into the base, fit right in and it looked great. It even held
in place. Therefore, my question is what anyone thinks of simply gluing or
epoxying the leg without trying to cut off the base or adding a rod/dowel
in the center? Do you think it'll be just as strong? If so, what epoxy/glue
do you recommend?

Thanks

No matter how you look at it, a glue joint there will be end-grain, thus
the weakest possible no matter what sort of glue you use. If it was my
repair I'd certainly be adding some sort of reinforcement.

As an aside, if I remember the pictures you provided, the portion remaining
attached at the top was pretty thin. Is there access inside the piece to
get a drill in? If so it would (well, might) be possible to put the joint
together, drill down through the case into the top of the leg and into the
broken section making the alignment of a dowel ever so much simpler. A less
elegant solution would be to drill, glue, and insert a long deck-type screw
from inside but that might be even stronger than a dowel and would require
a smaller-diameter hole to be drilled. Just a SWAG...

--
Bodger's Dictum: Artifical intelligence
can never overcome natural stupidity.