Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim+[_5_] Tim+[_5_] is offline

Default Replace wireless doorbell with a wired one

harry wrote:
On Thursday, 20 February 2020 14:18:01 UTC, Tim+ wrote:
Another John wrote:
Any views or advice on this, please:

We have a wireless doorbell: bells (2) plugged into the mains, and the
bellpush fixed to the outside of our porch.

I'm now finally fed up of the bellpush failing spasmodically -- Damp?
Cold? Battery failed? -- any and all of these causes have been
identified, and fixed, over the years.

Whenever it fails (due to cold and/or damp anyway), it usually corrects
itself .... so we never know when the bellpush is going to work, or not.

And so I've resolved to get a mains-wired bell instead (with the
approved transformer).

I'm looking for advice on drilling through the porch (door upright) -
it's UPVC, with a steel frame, of course.

And also any hints (make of doorbell, fitting transformer ... anything?)
would be much appreciated!

Dont discount a battery wired bell on the grounds of reliability. The
batteries on a basic bell will last for years. I suspect the €śbing bong€ť
type bell will run for decades. (When we moved into out current house I
replaced after about 10 years. They were the orange HP11 batteries. God
knows when they were last produced...

http://moblog.net/media/r/i/c/richcolour/ever-ready.jpg

Tim

Here is a proper bell battery. I came across one of these still in use many years ago.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leclanch%C3%A9_cell#Uses

My parents bought a house in the 60s that had bell pushes everywhere,
Leclanché cells to power them and a carbide acetylene generator to feed the
gas lights. (I should add that these were no longer functional when we
moved in).

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls