Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Servicing a very old gas boiler - still done?

On Tuesday, 25 February 2020 11:32:04 UTC, #Paul wrote:
tabbypurr wrote:

Has the Government considered where all this EXTRA electricity will be
coming from with gas, petrol and diesel all being replaced by electric
sources of power?

from gas? At great expense.

I believe the point is that the needed electricity can come from whatever
happens to be a good way of generating it.

sounds like a great way of missing the point.

So instead of burning gas in the home at 95% or so efficient, you want to build massively expensive power stations to convert gas at 40% efficiency into electricity, which is sold to households at 4x the price per unit as gas.. Oh, and don't forget the vast infrastructure upgrade that would require (£,£££,£££,£££). You couldn't make it up.

And then even if that generation
happens to involve burning fossil fuels, then in a large power plant one
could implement carbon-capture; a practice that would be impractical to
implement on household boilers, or on cars).

Sorry, I mustn't laugh. Carbon capture is a joke played on those that simply have no grasp of much. The cycle of getting energy from carbon is C + O - CO2. Carbon capture is of course CO2 via whatever to C: the exact opposite. IOW it is inherently hopelessly impractical, and less than useless. I realise some don't see why, but it still is.

Further, if you did then
manage to phase out fossil power generation, it wouldn't require (another)
replacement of household systems.

#Paul

If we keep using gas that doesn't require the first replacement of household systems. Or the second!

Let's get a reality check he despite all the rhetoric, we are nowhere near phasing out fossil fuels. Not even slightly. The promises to do so in decades are as realistic as any long distance politician promise: they mean absolutely nothing beyond 'we think you're mugs.'

NT