Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Heard on the radio today...

"Pancho" wrote in message
On 24/02/2020 22:48, Steve Walker wrote:

I've never got this argument.

Yep, I fully understand that EU bureaucrats are corrupt, incompetents
lining their own pockets. The thing is that Westminster bureaucrats are
the same. Local councils too, for that matter.

But the citizens of the UK can vote out councillors or a government that
they feel is itself incompetent or corrupt or who fail to adequately
direct and control bureaucrats who are like that. Our votes had little
effect on the EU.

I'm a citizen of London, England, The UK, and formerly the EU. To be
honest I have felt more at home in New York or Amsterdam than I have in
rural villages in the UK.

My votes in the UK have almost always had no effect,

Have always had no effect.

I have lived in safe seats. It is inevitable that If I am a part of any
large group my say will count for little.

For nothing unless you get to decide the policy of the group.

In the UK we are largely controlled by bureaucrats and the super rich.

Thats bull****. Its actually controlled by what the pollys
propose policy wise to get the votes they need.

I believe in personal freedom, I believe local communities should be given
freedom, devolution of power, but we need some wider rules and controls,
otherwise we often end up in a race to the bottom.

I don't see why these wider controls should stop at Westminster.

So I really can't understand the distinction you are trying to draw.