Posted to uk.d-i-y
charles charles is offline

Default My garage has an Asbestolux? ceiling.

In article ,
Rod Speed wrote:
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2) wrote

The main problem with anything made of asbestos cement or similar is aging
making them so brittle you can easily go straight through.

Not a problem with any of mine that is now 50 years old.

However even we had to get a company in to take it all down and bag and
remove it.

I find it very odd that asbestos, a mineral, is so dangerous. I guess its
the way we use it concentrated and in fibres that makes it dangerous.

Concentrated. no, fibers yes.

I used to saw the corrugated cement panels with a power jigsaw back in
the 70s

I used a proper fibro cutter.
https://stonex.com.au/products/ox-tr...MaAnSrEALw_wcB

with no ill effects,

It takes quite a while for asbestosis to show up, decades.

and it then kills quite quickly. A friend was diagnosed in April and died
in September. It's untreatable.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England