Posted to alt.home.repair
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default 30amp plug to 20amp device

On Tue, 25 Feb 2020 01:23:46 -0500, wrote:

On Tue, 25 Feb 2020 01:00:20 -0500, Clare Snyder
wrote:

On Mon, 24 Feb 2020 23:19:11 -0500,
wrote:

On Mon, 24 Feb 2020 21:23:12 -0500, Clare Snyder
wrote:

On Mon, 24 Feb 2020 19:16:35 -0500,
wrote:

On Mon, 24 Feb 2020 18:35:05 -0500, Clare Snyder
wrote:

On Mon, 24 Feb 2020 10:50:46 -0500,
wrote:

On Mon, 24 Feb 2020 05:11:59 -0800 (PST), trader_4
wrote:

On Sunday, February 23, 2020 at 2:06:41 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Sun, 23 Feb 2020 10:23:06 -0500, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

I'm not questioning the safety rating of the outlet. I'm questioning
whether that outlet is supplying 120 or 220/240 volts. And you can't
tell just by examining what it is rated for.

The reason that type of outlet is rated for 250v is that it is commonly
used to supply power for electric dryers, ovens, ranges, and other high
wattage appliances that are engineered to use the 220/240 supply voltage
(yes, including use in countries that use 120v for almost all other
electrical equipment).

That is why NEMA standardizes these plugs.

Yes, there are NEMA standards.

With all the stuff coming into the US from China and sometimes other
countries you never know what they may send into the US.

Where I worked we had some big temperature controlled heaters. They ran
on 480 volts 3 phase and anywhere from 10 to 200 amps. There was a big
building project and another bank of heates were installed. While
setting they up we could not get the high end to reach anywhere the 480
volts. Come to find out the equipment was sent in as 380 volt devices.
I don't know what country uses that.

On another note everything that had the 480 volt disconnects green ment
that the breaker was supplying power and red ment it was not. Then the
European stuff came in and their idea was red ment the breaker was on
and it was dangerous to go in the box and green ment the breaker was off
and it was safe. Exectally backwards.

I don't remember the colors now,but even the 120 volt replacement cords
had blue and brown wires instead of the more normal black and white we
use in the US.

Ordering low bid stuff from offshore is always a crap shoot but you
should verify the voltage ratings are right.

It's $20 for a simple adapter and Home Depot is selling it.

You are not buying a "simple adapter" from Home Depot to get from 380v
to 480 rating.
380v is the European standard 3p wye that gives them the single phase
L/N 220v. (also in the other Brit dominated places like NZ and Oz). It
will also be rated at 50hz but I doubt a toaster wire heater cares
about that.
And normal "romex" wiring in Canada and the US is rated for 300volts
- - - - or some of it 360 or even 600.

Romex (Type NM) is ALL 600v as is virtually all chapter 3 conductors
although some are higher.

No, there is lots of 2 wire+ground #14 cable that is only rated at
300 volts.
The only place you see 300v is in "junior" cords and some fixture
wires in Chapter 4. Then there is Chapter 7 low voltage wire.

MOST extention or attached power cords ARE 600 volt

Not really, the answer is printed or embossed on the cord. If it has a
"J" in it, it is 300v (SJOT, SJT etc your regular "orange cord")
That is even true of more expensive cords. ($100)
Example of a "heavy Duty" cord
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Southwire-100-ft-10-3-SJEOW-Outdoor-Heavy-Duty-T-Prene-Extension-Cord-with-Power-Light-Plug-1789SW0002/203066459

SJEOW cord is about as tough as you get in the consumer market
S= hard service
J= Junior (300v)
E= Thermoplastic Elastomer
O= Oil resistant
W= Water Resistant.

I have never seen any zip cord that was 600v and that even includes
the large dryer and range cord.

SO cord is 600v but that is the heavy black rubber cord you see at a
carnival but you don't see much of that at the Home Depot.

600 volt NM-B 14/2G or 12/2G is the standard cable for residential use
in canada.

"MOST extention or attached power cords ARE 600 volt"

Cords are not cables. I already said all chapter 3 conductors are 600v
or higher.

Extention cables without the J are 600 volt. All of my contractor
grade cords have no J. SOOW 14AWG and STW 14,, and SOOW 12

Zip cord is NOT an "extention cable" in my books!! It's "Lamp cord" or
"speaker wire"

They hook up cooktops and dryers with 10 ga zip cord.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-6-ft...-833/100672782

That's parallel conductor flexible cable but not what I would call
"zip cord" It's common on "flat plug" extention cords but has much
heavier insulation than "zip cord" which is usuallyconsidered to be 2
wire

There ARE a lot of 300 volt ones out there too, I see - but in the
garage or hangar and on job sites we see a lot of 600 volt.

I don't see a lot of SO cord but I suppose it is out there.

We have higher safety standards up here which may be why they are more
common here than down there.