Posted to alt.home.repair
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default 30amp plug to 20amp device

On Mon, 24 Feb 2020 18:33:23 -0500, wrote:

On Mon, 24 Feb 2020 13:04:33 -0800 (PST), TimR
wrote:

On Sunday, February 23, 2020 at 9:36:08 AM UTC-5, Dean Hoffman wrote:

One of the pictures shows the male end marked as 125/250 volt
with four prongs. The female end is marked as 125 volt with three
openings. The connector loses one hot leg in the transition.

Not being argumentative, asking because I don't know. Even though I should.

That circuit can supply 30 A at 240V on both hot legs.

The adapter will use one leg and get 120V. No problem, the treadmill is 120V. But the treadmill uses 17A. Is there still 30A available off just one leg? Or is there half of that, only 15A available?

It is a single phase 120v 30a circuit. The plug itself is not legal
unless there is over current protection built in but I guess nobody
ever pointed that out. I suppose they could put a 20a fusible link in
there but it probably would not be replaceable.

Are you sure?? A 20 amp outlet is also a 15 amp outlet - and WILL be
fuded at 20 amps. The fuse is to protect the WIRING - not the device.
As long as the adapter is rated to handle 30 amos it is legal and
safe. (Legal if it has UL or CSA approval - not legal without even if
it had a 15 amp fuse in it)