Posted to uk.d-i-y
Pancho Pancho is offline

Default Heard on the radio today...

On 24/02/2020 16:10, Roger Hayter wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Pancho wrote:
Seems 1 in 6 will get food poisoning in the US each year. In the UK,
it is 1 in 66.

Yet we want to import cheap food from the US. Always knew Brexiteers
had a death wish.

Could we not just choose to buy English food/chicken rather than US.

You could, although many will just go for what the supermarket has on the
shelf at the best price - assuming they even get the choice. As with so
much else, many require protection from themselves. But do realise that
won't go down well with many on this group where making a fast buck is all
that matters.

For instance, how many know that chicken from anywhere (including
Thailand and Eastern Europe) can be sold as 'British chicken' if it is
packed here? Presumably the same would apply to American chicken were
it legal to import it.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/food-labelling-country-of-origin

----

Poultry, sheep, goats and swine meat labelling

You must label all unprocessed, pre-packaged poultry, sheep, goat and
swine meat with the country of:

rearing - state €śreared in: [EU member state or non-EU country]€ť
slaughter - state €śslaughtered in: [EU member state or non-EU country]€ť

If poultry, sheep, goat or swine meat is taken from animals born, reared
and slaughtered in the same country you can label it as €śOrigin: [EU