Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Wheel Barrow Handles

On Sunday, February 23, 2020 at 10:39:43 PM UTC-5, Sonny wrote:
On Monday, February 17, 2020 at 7:36:39 AM UTC-6, Jack wrote:
On 2/16/2020 4:14 PM, Markem wrote:

Steve Knight soaked his plane blocks in oil, but not sure what oil,
but I think motor oil.

Tons of different oils out there but imo it's silly to use oils designed
to lube metal parts as a finish.

Update: I had cut a blank in half for carving threads into the nut. It's been a week and the blank is now in saw dust. I'll start carving tomorrow. I have 2 other blanks and one is soaking in mineral oil, for the machinist to work on. I have a third blank waiting in the wings.

Lately, I've been cleaning and rearranging the wood shop.... getting rid of lots on metal stuff that's been around for years...., clearing shelves of unused stuff that been saved for some odd, unforseen "project", but the project has never presented itself, yet. A trip to the metal salvage yard is planned for tomorrow.

Seems spring has arrived. Amaryllis are budding, plum and satsuma trees ares in full bloom, lawn needs mowing again, mocking birds are singing their mating songs. I weeded, some, in the flower gardens today.... temps in the high 60s, in the mid 70s tomorrow with rain. Also, I've been doing some repairs to trim on the house and shop.... it's been warm enough for priming and painting those repairs. Power washing the shop and house is coming soon.

With football season over, I've had more time for these other tasks, though I've been keeping up with the (NHL) Bruins. Once the rain ends I'll till the garden. My (lawn's) crop of four leaf clovers are about ready to pluck... to give to friends, relatives and other folks, via greeting cards. Will collect them before mowing.

Hope to have pics of the nut thread carving soon. Not sure what "glue" will be used on the 2 halves, having been soaked with mineral oil, to mate them.

Sonny

Some info on gluing oily woods can be found at the link below. One of the comments mentions
G-flex.

https://www.wood-database.com/wood-a...cal-hardwoods/