Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Airplane travel, rentacars in the 50's

In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 23 Feb 2020 21:19:12 -0500,
wrote:

On Sun, 23 Feb 2020 20:17:47 -0500, micky
wrote:

In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 23 Feb 2020 20:15:42 -0500, micky
wrote:

No it was a joke.

Okay. Thanks for addressing the (implied, for that matter) question.

The seats were assigned on picture of the seats behind the counter and
they just checked them off. Computers (electro mechanical) were

I forgot to say that this sounds more believable. Otherwise people who
didn't even have tickets could take the seats they wanted, just in case
they bought a ticket. Etc.

I wouldn't bet they even had assigned seats in the 50s, at least in
coach. My first flight was in 1956 but I was only 9 and the details

While Jack Benny might have traveled first class, the map of the plane
seemed to cover the whole plane, and he took seats from the middle of
it.

were fuzzy. I was flying alone (OK City to DC) and actually getting
through ticketing was done by my grandmother. She gave me my ticket, a
kiss on the cheek and sent me down the concourse. I bet that would be
child abuse today. There was really no special program to keep an eye
on me and I did get off in Tulsa, bought a hotdog and got back on. The
Stew seemed a little surprised when I was boarding again eating my hot
dog, drinking a Coke.

I don't have a travel story, but...

Because of my birthday, in Pa. I started 1st grade when I was 5 yrs. 8
months. This was of course when they didn't teach how to read until
the first grade, and I didn't go to kindergarten anyhow.

My parents were off for the evening, and my older brother, 12, was
picking on me, and I knew the names of my parents' friends, so I looked
their number up in the phonebook and called to complain. They were so
impressed that I could do this, but I thought their reacton was silly.
After all, my whole class and I had been going to school for 4 months to
learn how to read, so why were they surprised I could read. It wasn't
even a whole sentence, just last name and first name.

The whole class could read by Christmas vacation,