Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Servicing a very old gas boiler - still done?

On 23/02/2020 18:45, Maxwell Boltzmann wrote:
Roger Mills posted

I'm reluctantly accepting that my 30-year-old Baxi Solo is going to
have to be replaced soon because some parts - particularly things like
baffles - are no longer available. I'm doing my best to nurse it along
at least until the weather is a bit warmer. I've had to clean out the
pilot assembly today because the high winds has blown some crud into
it. I'm pretty sure that BG would condemn it, so I'm not going to let
them get anywhere near it. I suspect that an independent might also
condemn it.

Does anyone know what is going to happen to energy bills when they ban
the installation of gas boilers in new homes in 2025 or whatever? Gas is
about a fifth the price of electricity per kWh, and it comprises the
majority of my house's energy consumption. Have people cottoned on to
this yet?

The mind boggles! I actually spend more on electricity than on gas even
though I use far less of it and all my space and water heating uses gas.
The cost of heating with electricity would be colossal. What I really
need is a gas-powered generator to provide my electricity. [Not sure how
efficient they are].

I was recently looking at the economics of heat pumps. It seems that, to
produce X kW of heat you need to supply X/4 kW of electricity. If that
is true, it would cost me more in electricity to drive the pump than it
currently does to do the whole job with gas - even though the heat
itself would be "free"!
--
Cheers,
Roger