Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Yet another smart meter question

On 21/02/2020 08:46, Chris J Dixon wrote:
John Rumm wrote:

On 19/02/2020 09:04, Chris J Dixon wrote:

As I have said here previously, my off-peak usage is about 30%,
and ever since I started keeping records nearly 30 years ago, E7
has been cheaper than a standard tariff, generally by about £4
per month.

However when my Tonic deal was expiring, I looked at the usual
comparisons and found that the dual fuel non-E7 tariff Avro are
offering, compared with my previous good deal from Tonik, reduces
my electricity costs slightly and my gas costs quite a bit, and
the daily charge is also less.

They simply apply the same tariff to both readings, absolutely no
call for a meter change. It may be worth your while looking at
the numbers.

Thanks for the heads up Chris, I just ran my numbers and they offered a
similar dual fuel deal to that which you describe, at an estimated
annual saving of around £980 :-)

Based on their pricing my annual electric daytime cost would go down
£740, Night time would rise by £71, and gas would fall by £313 (and
those are figures with the standing charged factored in).

That sounds great, glad to help.

I am really not happy about the way one almost has to game the
system to keep on a good tariff. It is a bit like the way you
have to keep such a close eye on supermarket pricing, and those
who most need to make a saving probably have the least time,
inclination and ability to do the maths.

I think there is an element of "beware what you wish for"...

Having markets and competition will to some extent help keep the price
down overall, and also allow suppliers to target particular niche
sectors and carve out a speciality that can build a reputation on.

However it all leads to the next phase when everyone wants to have easy
"no hassle" switching. So building in some portfolio complexity probably
adds a bit of customer inertia - since if they are nor sure of the best
course of action, no action is the easiest option.

Since the only way to get a new customer in a fully developed market is
to churn one from another supplier, you then create the ideal breading
ground for the comparison sites to come alone and act as king makers
(for there share obviously)

--
Cheers,

John.