Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Woodstove "plastic" smell?

On 2/21/2020 9:21 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 2/21/2020 1:16 AM, wrote:
This thread has been ongoing for 11 years with no definitive answer?Â*
I have a Lopi Leyden wood stove with plastic smell once unit gets
hot. Actually see some black tar like substance in the crease of the
top door. I need answers!!!!!! Please

The black tar substance is creosote.Â* You may not be burning it hot
enough to keep it clean.Â* Twice a day I would load up my stove and
burn it very hot for at least 15 minutes and then damper it down.

The plastic smell is just burning off some of the gunk that built up.
It certainly is not plastic.

Be sure you wood is dried out too.Â* It contains a lot of volitiles
that will build up as it burns.

Â* The ideal moisture content for firewood is between 15-20% and
moisture meters are cheap now . The OP doesn't say what kind of wood
he/she's burning but if it's pine ... I burn mostly oak and the moisture
content (of what I'm burning eight now) is a little over 20% so if I
don't let it burn hot for a while every few days I get some creosote
buildup .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old