Posted to uk.d-i-y
PeterC PeterC is offline

Default Replace wireless doorbell with a wired one

On Thu, 20 Feb 2020 13:53:55 +0000, Another John wrote:

Any views or advice on this, please:

We have a wireless doorbell: bells (2) plugged into the mains, and the
bellpush fixed to the outside of our porch.

I'm now finally fed up of the bellpush failing spasmodically -- Damp?
Cold? Battery failed? -- any and all of these causes have been
identified, and fixed, over the years.

Whenever it fails (due to cold and/or damp anyway), it usually corrects
itself .... so we never know when the bellpush is going to work, or not.

And so I've resolved to get a mains-wired bell instead (with the
approved transformer).

I'm looking for advice on drilling through the porch (door upright) -
it's UPVC, with a steel frame, of course.

And also any hints (make of doorbell, fitting transformer ... anything?)
would be much appreciated!

Cheers
John

I solved this problem by getting a bell with a kinetic push - no battery and
IP55. Here are some:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...at=0&_s op=15
and with 2 sounders (probably not 111dB!)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wireless-...AOSwceNaazA R

Note that most of these require the sounder to be in a 13A socket. Mine are
placed so that they're audible all over the house but can't be heard next
door.
The push on mine is 'hinged' at the top - possibly a good design re. IP
rating - and it is stuck on the door. The adhesive is v. strong, so it needs
to be in the right place, especially as I cleaned the area first.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away