Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Yet another smart meter question

On 19/02/2020 09:42, Roger Hayter wrote:
John Rumm wrote:

On 18/02/2020 15:49, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Tue, 18 Feb 2020 15:28:35 +0000, bert wrote:

In article , Mark Carver
writes
On 12/02/2020 12:51, Dave Liquorice wrote:
Apart from night storeage heating, what other useage would be
economical on an E7 tariff?
My parents used to run the dishwasher and washing machine (in addition
to their storage heaters) on it.

In the future, car charging !?

Is it still the case that if you have E7 your daytime elec becomes more
expensive so small usage saves little.

It was in my last property, but that was two years ago. I reckoned we
just about broke even - washing machine, dishwasher and immersion
heater all on E7, but there were just the two of us so not a lot of
use of any of those, and gas CH. A big family, lots of laundry, dishes
and hot water for bathing etc, might be worth it, but probably not,
otherwise.

I did the sums the other day (we have a dual rate meter here - but no
sensible use for it). Relatively high electrical use (about 25 kWh/day,
7/night). And estimate its probably costing about £120/year extra over a
single rate meter when you take into accounts the slightly higher day
rate and standing charge. I could never quite understand why they
insisted on using a split rate tariff just because the meter can measure
that way. I have a suspicion that if I ask them to change it they will
only offer s smart meter.

Some providers (Octupus Energy is one, but not unique) will offer you a
standard tariff even though you continue to provide them with both
readings, just by adding them. Other providers' software can't cope.

The meter actually shows three sets of readings anyway - register 1, 2,
and total.

--
Cheers,

John.