Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Yet another smart meter question

"tony sayer" wrote in message
Will be interesting to see if the new Transport Select Committee goes
ahead with their predecessors' planned inquiry this year into options to
replace the £40 billion from taxes on fuel and from VED - road pricing,
congestion zones, workplace parking charges etc.

There's a lot more **** in the pipe about electric cars - and probably
the biggest reason they will struggle to take off in the UK, as they'll
kill house prices dead.

It's already been hinted at, but where are all these smart cars going to
be parked when they charge off your domestic supply ? That is those that
belong to people who have no off-road parking ?

Because unless you get a reserved road space (remember this is a *public*
road) then you won't be able to guarantee charging your car.

Of course it's a simple stroke of a pen to bring in road markings and
laws to only allow the owner of the registered car to park in that space
when charging. But that's about as likely as the UKs space programme
putting a man on the moon - ever.

Dunno.. Theres a a lot of terraced houses here, a street lamp stylee
post charger outlet may have to become the norm so instead of fighting
over a parking space it'll be power!

Dunno, our street lamps are spaced out far too
far to be viable for electric car charging. Must be
something like one every 10 houses and our houses
are much wider than your terrace houses.

Tho I spose bollards between every 2 car park spots would work.

Course a lot of digging for higher capacity cabling and
distribution system alternation to be made but looks
like the power industry might be a good career choice

Dunno, I cant see the ban on ic cars working.

Bet it get scrapped when everyone is told they have
to buy an electric car and sack the govt that stupid.