Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim+[_5_] Tim+[_5_] is offline

Default LED Downlighters (Hello again, after many years)

Anna Kettle wrote:
Memory lane ...
I first posted here before uk.d-i-y existed, when it was just a topic in uk.misc
And then posted regularly on the newsgroup for several years as I was
doing up my medieval farmhouse in Suffolk. I still recognise a few names
from back then theskullster, R D S, Dave Plowman, John Rumm, The Natural
Philsopher all look familiar. Others too. Hello!

Welcome back! Afraid the place has rather gone to the dogs in your absence
but thankfully John Rumm keeps the signal to noise ratio high enough to
make it worth still following. ;-)

One of the things I always enjoyed about UK.d-i-y was the breadth of
independent thought and that has brought me back (to google groups this
time) with a question to punt in the air

What do you think of LED downlighters? As a design feature

I will nail my colours to the mast and say that I think they are useful
over kitchen worktops and in places like corridors and cupboards. I
totally dislike them in living rooms and bedrooms cos when I recline back
in a chair or in bed they are staring me straight in the eye

I would concur.

Now this may just be me. I don't like looking at those filament bulbs
either and I always make my own lights obscure. Other people don't seem
to have an issue with them.

Or could it be that splattering a property with downlights is an easy
design option and no-one ever thinks about the aesthetics (what is
beautiful about rows of dots on a ceiling. Nothing) or the glare

I think for a lot of electricians and designers the thought processes go no
further than €śdown-lighters are trendy, therefore you cant have too many
of them€ť. It saves them having to think. Designing concealed uplighters
say takes more time/money and most customers dont complain about
downlighters.

I am looking at the wiring diagram of a barn conversion which we are
doing for sale and downlights are specified everywhere. I am trying to
decide whether I should scrub them, which would be cheaper and which I
think would be better. Or whether the fact that the property is for sale
makes a difference. Why stand out from the crowd?

What do you think?

Its a very personal thing. Nicely designed uplighters can provide a much
nicer quality of light in many areas but if I was just renovating to sell
on, I might well be tempted by the €śeasy option€ť of downlighters.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls