Ewan MacIntyre

Default Non-copper wire in ring main?

Andy Dingley wrote:
I'd suggest _not_ cutting it.

Neither should really be left in situ long-term (if you're already at
the floorboard lifting stage). Aluminium, in particular, has a habit
of working fine for years and then creating problems when you start to
touch it - particularly if you cut it and then try to re-join it
(screw terminals through a decades-old oxide layer - lovely).

It's a fair bet that it's either 7/0.29 or aluminium, but I think a
definitive identification can wait until it's heading for the scrap
pile.

--
Smert' spamionam

Thanks for all the comments.

I've now investigated the layout of the ring, and it's likely that one
or more of these cables will need replaced anyway, as I'm raising
sockets to a proper height and so the cables are too short. I'll repost
once I've cut a piece open.

Unfortunately, this same ring has my computer on it, and all our network
gear. The longer the power is off, the louder the shouts are from
upstairs that the broadband isn't working... ;-)

Ewan