Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew[_22_] Andrew[_22_] is offline

Default Cavity Wall advice

On 19/02/2020 08:21, Brian Reay wrote:
John Not.responding.@dotcom wrote:
My house was built in 1988. The cavity walls are filled with slabs of
rockwool stuff - possibly not as well as I would have liked.

Occassionally I get salesmen trying to sell me the sort of injected cavity
wall insulation. They usually claim there is a grant toward it.

I don't like to be pressured - I like to decide if it is a good thing.

Any views?

We had a phone call the other day about insulation- I think loft insulation
in this case, my wife answered the phone but the caller hung up when she
suggested he spoke to me. He claimed there were grants available etc.

I was suspicious- firstly the call was to her mobile, why hang up, and
grants tend to be limited to certain groups ( none of which we fit into).

Being curious, I did a search. Sure enough, grants are available for loft
insulation but only in limited circumstances ( which certainly dont apply
to us).

It seems there are companies offering to install insulation, claiming
grants are available and to try and secure one for you by completing forms
etc. However, they dont mention to be eligible you need to meet certain
criteria AND there seems to be a finite allocation (presumably each year)
which is allocated on a first come first serve basis.

Just tell them your house is a 1930's art-deco house with a flat roof.