Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default LED Downlighters (Hello again, after many years)

On 19/02/2020 09:16, Anna Kettle wrote:
What do you think of LED downlighters? As a design feature

Hmm. Bit passé these days

I will nail my colours to the mast and say that I think they are
useful over kitchen worktops and in places like corridors and
cupboards. I totally dislike them in living rooms and bedrooms cos
when I recline back in a chair or in bed they are staring me straight
in the eye

Agree.

Now this may just be me. I don't like looking at those filament bulbs
either and I always make my own lights obscure. Other people don't
seem to have an issue with them.

Or could it be that splattering a property with downlights is an easy
design option and no-one ever thinks about the aesthetics (what is
beautiful about rows of dots on a ceiling. Nothing) or the glare

Yes.

I am looking at the wiring diagram of a barn conversion which we are
doing for sale and downlights are specified everywhere. I am trying
to decide whether I should scrub them, which would be cheaper and
which I think would be better. Or whether the fact that the property
is for sale makes a difference. Why stand out from the crowd?

What do you think? Anna

It's a question of having confidence in your design decisions and
knowing your target market.

I've seen horrendous things that people with money absolutely love,
because people with money, mostly like to show that they have the money.

In which case the person to ask is the estate agent, not UK.d-i-y

Personally I have spot down lights in 'utility' areas and wall lamps and
standards in 'living' areas.

--
I would rather have questions that cannot be answered...
....than to have answers that cannot be questioned

Richard Feynman