Joseph Meehan

Default window plugs for soundproofing

xyz wrote:
I want to do temporary soundproofing by making a window plug for
a 4' by 5' window, and I'd appreciate suggestions.

How well have you researched your location to determine that the window
is the source of the noise you want to block? While windows can and do
allow sound in, many times the real problem may be something else. For
example many times more sound is coming in through the vents above then
through the ceiling.

The type of sound you are trying to block is also important. Assuming
it is the window that is the problem, then you may be able to block it using
a light weight acoustical foam. This only works on some frequencies. You
also may be able to block it from the outside (maybe not depending on the
situation).

If you can use a light weight material to block the sound then a light
weight foam material to add insulation like Celotex should take care of that
and you would end up with a light enough structure to easily move.

I would not rely on the acoustical fiberglass insulation that is
available, if that is what you had in mind. Its acoustical properties are
only marginal better than standard insulation which is not all that good.

Overall, it appears you are basically on the right track with an idea.

By "window plug" I'm referring to a box-like object filled with
insulation that provides both sound deadening and weather insulation
that I can set in the window frame.

Some considerations:

o I have little building experience but like to learn.

o I'd like to minimize whatever tools I have to buy.

o I'd like to pay less than about $150 to $200.

o I'm guessing that I'd like to make two plugs to use
side-by-side. I don't think that I can lift a plug the size
of the window. Also, I'd like to be able to remove
one plug for ventilation to avoid mold and if I need
to escape if there's a fire.

o Last summer, we had over a solid week of 115 degree
days, so I need the plug to block the sun and insulate.
My understanding is that soundproofing typically
improves weather insulation.

My plan: I thought that I'd build a frame for each half of the
window. I'll cover one or both sides of each frame with
plywood or hopefully a lighter material. I'll fill the box
with soundproofing mats (or some lightweight material used for
soundproof insulation) about 3 inches thick and try to attach
the mats airtight. I'll attach cabinet handles on the inside
and will probably need to apply some sort of reflective or mold-proof
and wear-proof material to the outside.

I hope that each window plug weighs less than 50 lbs.

I thought that I'd try using rubber shower mats around the edges
to make it more airtight and to give me a little margin for
error. I also hope that the rubber mats will protect from drywall
damage.

I realize that my result will not be completely sound proof.

I thought that I might use some sort of pivoting stick on
the window frame to keep the plug from falling down, or
maybe a bar on u-hooks attached to each side of the window
frame like you see on castle entries in the old movies.
Looks are not an issue here as long as I don't have to do
too much fixing if I move.

Any suggestions on the easiest way make a frame, meaning
minimal tools and cutting, lightest weight, and a reasonable
cost? Maybe something aluminum that I could screw together?

Is plywood a good choice for the sides facing the window?

Any suggestions for lightweight soundproof filler?

Thanks

As FYI, I've looked at these sites:

http://www.domesticsoundproofing.co....barriermat.htm

http://www.customaudiodesigns.co.uk/...wtowindows.htm