Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default Taking a couple of mm off a door, belt sander?

On 17/02/2020 20:26, R D S wrote:
I have a few doors in my life that are sticking, I have NO skills with a
plane, it isn't really enough to warrant getting a circular saw and I
cant really be arsed removing the doors anyway....

So wondering if a belt sander would be appropriate for taking a couple
of mm off here and there?

Do you already have a belt sander? Not sure I would get one especially
for that job (unless, say, I had plenty of other flat things to sand).
An angle grinder with sanding disk attachment is in general a more
useful tool IMHO. They can remove a lot of material quickly which can be
a good thing or a bad thing. Once you have the knack, you can do quite
delicate adjustments with them.

If you need to take significant material off over the whole length, it
is far better to bite the bullet and remove the door. If you don't want
to use a manual plane, power planers are not too expensive and don't
need too much skill. Just don't put them down until they have stopped,
and keep fingers well clear of the blades! Forget circular saws unless
you are experienced, and forget jigsaws altogether.