Posted to rec.woodworking
Sonny Sonny is offline

Default Wheel Barrow Handles

On Sunday, February 16, 2020 at 5:55:32 PM UTC-6, Sonny wrote:
On Sunday, February 16, 2020 at 3:14:40 PM UTC-6, Markem wrote:

Steve Knight soaked his plane blocks in oil, but not sure what oil,
but I think motor oil.

A tip from Steve at the end of this page 2 of 2 http://showcase.netins.net/web/iabon...building1.html

is to place the block in sawdust to leach out excess oil. Off hand, I wouldn't have thought to use sawdust this way. This article doesn't state what kind of oil.

Sonny

More info, copied & pasted from another article. Identifies the oil only as "special".

Knight Toolworks planes feature 1/4€³ tool steel irons hardened to RC 62 a for a long-lasting cutting edge. They are soaked in special oil so that they will remain stable without movement (like most planes do in changing weather).

Maybe the mineral oil soaked wooden nut may be a bit more stable in changing weather conditions. Sounds logical, I suppose.

Sonny