Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_24_] Frank[_24_] is offline

Default Questions about roof repair/replacment.

On 2/14/2020 10:44 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article , says...

Either way can work, I'd base my decision on dollars. At 13 years you
can have from 5 to 10 years left on the shingles. If the fix is cheap
enough it is a good way to go, but if it is getting close to half the
cost of new, I'd go with new and be done.

Being a town house there may not be that many shingles involved for the
whole roof. As mentioned, the repair may be a good percentage of the
whole roof.

Be sure to get several estiments. I replaced my shingles of about 28
squares a few years back. The price was 2 bids around $ 8500, one bid
about $ 12,000 and another $ 18,000. I went with the next to the
lowest. They had shingles rated for something like 40 or 50 years like
the others. I think the fellow was low on estimating the size by about
2 squares. I tried to tell him that, but he insisted the satalitte view
of the house and his computer program was right. Sure enough he was off
by that much, but the price was the same. I had rough guessed about 30
squares and I helped one other pull a tape around the house and he said
29 squared. They were here after the satalitte man.
About 8 Mexicans showed up and the head man just looked at the shingles
that had been dropped off the day before and said he did not think there
were enough. At the end of the day he and I were right.

I did not put out bids two years ago and hired the guy that had done my
roof 25 years ago. I did request his bid and from others had a good
idea what to expect and got a great bid. I got 30 year shingles as they
will outlast me. As a contractor there were changes I had not
anticipated like subbing the bulk of the work to a Hispanic crew. I
also had him do new gutters and downspouts and he did a great job.
Unlike the first time he did my roof which was the second one, it was a
tear off and took a few days vs just one day for the second roof. He
also pointed out a couple of slightly low spots due to rafters and
recommended that since they were hardly noticeable and just cosmetic it
was not worthwhile to fix them.