Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Default Wi-Fi adaptor.

On 14/02/2020 17:40, NY wrote:
"GB" wrote in message

Or use a fair of Homeplugs, if you have them lying around perhaps?

And hope and pray that the mains wiring between them is capable of
carrying the signal. Our house is an L shape, with a long distance from
the router at one extreme of the L to rooms at the other end. And the
house has two "fuse boxes" with sockets at different ends of the L on
different fuse boxes - though still all going through the same meter
which I gather is the absolute show-stopper if you try to go between
sockets on different meters.

When I tried it with Homeplug devices that were rated at I think 80 Mbps
I got a transfer rate of about 5 Mbps with frequent drop-outs; to get 80
Mbps I had to be on sockets that were no more than a few yards apart.

I also found difficulty with the old 80 mbps homeplugs. You'd think the
higher speed ones would be worse, but on the contrary they connect much
better.

We have a very thick wall running down the middle of our house, which
makes a mockery of wifi. Hence my enthusiasm for Homeplug.