Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lateral loads near the top of a masonry wall

On 14/02/2020 11:04, Tim Watts wrote:
On 13/02/2020 20:47, Tim Watts wrote:

A little engineering theory may help you here.

Lateral loads on masonry have long been understood - mediaeval
buttresses are there for that reason.

The problem is that masonry is way better at compressive loads than
tensile ones, and has very low elasticity, and that means its liable
to failure by buckling with asymmetric loads.

The approach that fundamentally solves this is by ensuring that the
thrust vector of the load falls inside the walls. Buttresses achieve
this by effectively widening the base of the wall but another approach
for a given lateral thrust is to increase the total vertical load on
the wall.

That 'bends' the resultant combined vector inside the base.

A wall piled with lead weights on top is harder to push over than the
same wall without..

In theory I have at least 1-2kN load from the pillar that supports the
dormer flat roof, bearing down on the corner and through the wallplate.

And probably quite a lot from the floor above which sits on that wall.

there you go then. I think it will be FINE.

I mounted a CRT telly on a swinging arm brcket affixed to a true single
(4") brick outside wall. Apart from the brick falling in half when
drilling leaving a gaping hole to the outside, a bit of mortar stuck it
all back together and the wall and the telly stayed up..