Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lateral loads near the top of a masonry wall

On 13/02/2020 21:37, John Rumm wrote:
On 13/02/2020 20:47, Tim Watts wrote:
On 13/02/2020 13:01, John Rumm wrote:
Â* On 12/02/2020 18:40, Tim Watts wrote:

Â*
Â* Short answer, I can't see it being a problem - especially with the top
Â* load and the lateral support from the adjacent wall.
Â*
Â* For extra peace of mind, stick in a 12U cabinet - it will convert more
Â* of the load to shear, and you know you will always run out of cabinet
Â* sooner or later :-)
Hi John,

I like the cut of your jib

Can't go wrong with 12U...

Well with hindsight I could have got a 16 in :-)

It's a really good location too - hall (easy access, bothers no one),
great throughway above bewteen the joists), power socket below it
(might stick a small Eaton MEM UPS on the floor as we get a *lot* of
power cuts, like about 15 in one day last weekened.

Yup I did similar:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...ntCommsCab.png

I have a Nas, a miniITX pfSense router and a couple of other widgets - I
like the idea of shoving these inside.

(right down to the MEM UPS on the floor).

How do you find MEM?

I modified a 1U cable tidy by snapping off the rings, and mounting it on
the rear rack struts to support the back of that shelf - since a 1U
shelf was not really upto 2 NAS units!

Good idea

I'm going for tool-less keystone jacks for my wall outlets and panel.

Cat5e, 6 or 6a I am undecided. Under 55m runs, but the sheilding in 6a
might be beneficial with all the mains stuff and dimmers nearby. Depends
how much of a mare the cable is to route. If it's too horrible, Cat5e
will be sufficient for my needs.

Already have a Ubiquiti PoE switch and Wifi AP which have far
outperformed anything I've had before - well pleased with those.