Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Default Some kitchen questions.

Last thing. The entire kitchen is tiled, and I don't want to change them.
Obviously some will need replacing where the new hood goes in, and round
the new worktops. I do have some spares - but will have lots from the old
worktops. However I used some type of semi-flexible waterproof mortar bed
to stick them to the blockboard, which has survived very well indeed. I
think the small (2x2") very strong tiles will come off the wood intact -
but how about removing the mortar from them?

I can't help you with your other questions, but perhaps I can about the
tiles, as we have recently replaced a couple of worktops.

First, we got the old worktops out without breaking any of the existing
tiles. Quite easy, with care. We just unscrewed them and scraped out
any mastic/grout joining them to the tiles.

Second, you might think it's a great idea to slide the new worktop in
under the old tiles. In practice, it's even better to have a thicker
worktop that butts up against the face of the tiles. If you are going
for Corian, get them to incorporate a 5cms upstand at the back, and the
whole join is then completely waterproof, no matter what.

3. If the tile cement is waterproof, you can't get it off. Well, I
haven't succeeded, anyway, even with weeks of soaking.