Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Neighbour's installation has dimmer switches plus ...

wrote in message
On Wednesday, 12 February 2020 23:02:19 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
tabbypurr wrote in message
On Wednesday, 12 February 2020 14:42:13 UTC, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:
In article ,
tabbypurr wrote:

I've never damaged a LED by *trying* it on a non trailing edge
dimmer.

then you've not used a CR PSU led light for that job.

How would I know a CR PSU from an LED that simply says 'dimmable'
(with a
suitable dimmer) ?

Dimmable LEDs can not contain CR PSUs, they don't survive chopper
dimming.

The only way to tell a CR PSU LED from an SMPSU LED is to open it up.

Thats bull****, you can measure it too.

It is possible to scope the mains current
waveform to see what's going on,

Thats not the only way to measure it.

but if someone is asking how to tell
they're not likely to have a scope, or
be able to do it if they did.

Irrelevant to your ignorant claim about opening it up.

A pf meter won't tell you, CR & small SMPSUs
are both low pf, albeit in different ways.

Having fun thrashing that straw man ?

And modern pf reporting power meters
have a habit of talking nonsense.

Having fun thrashing that straw man ?