Posted to alt.home.repair
Deguza[_3_] Deguza[_3_] is offline

Default How much should replacing a gas water heater cost with a heatpump-based one?

On Wednesday, February 12, 2020 at 12:30:39 PM UTC-8, wrote:
On Wed, 12 Feb 2020 11:33:58 -0800 (PST), trader_4
wrote:

On Wednesday, February 12, 2020 at 2:14:43 PM UTC-5, Deguza wrote:
On Wednesday, February 12, 2020 at 11:08:14 AM UTC-8, trader_4 wrote:
On Wednesday, February 12, 2020 at 2:04:29 PM UTC-5, Deguza wrote:
On Wednesday, February 12, 2020 at 10:53:29 AM UTC-8, trader_4 wrote:
On Wednesday, February 12, 2020 at 1:26:33 PM UTC-5, Deguza wrote:
I am planning to get quotes from contractors who do this type of work. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, where the cost of living is high, and contractors usually have to charge more.

From what I understand the work involves:

- Hooking up a new 50 gallon Rheem heat pump water heater to the existing lines.

- Getting a 30 amp 240v line to the point of use from the electrical panel. The panel is on the opposing side of the house, so it may involve getting into the crawl space under the house and making a hole through the wall to the point of use.

- Getting permits from the city.

I am estimating at the most 20 hours of labor.

How much should this cost?

Thanks,

Deguza

Probably 4X the cost of a nat gas water heater, if that's what's there now.
20 hours of labor? That's $2K right there. What is there now?

Thanks for your response trader_4

Rheem costs $1300. Permits around $300, material for the 30 amp line probably around $150 at the most. All of these add up to $1750.

Going with your $2000 for your labor, the total cost would be $3750. One contractor told me over the phone $6250!

Deguza

My $2K was based on your estimate of no more than 20 hours of labor.
No way of knowing if that is right or not, since I can't see it.
But it is a lot of labor.
You didn't answer the question. What's there now? No nat gas?
Since you have to run electric, it suggests nat gas may be there now.
If so, why switch?

Yes, I do have a gas heater. The reason I want to change the heater: My existing gas heater is 15 years old. Also, the city is giving a hefty rebate.

Also, I read that heat pump based electric heaters are very efficient, much cheaper to run than the gas ones.

Deguza

I would thoroughly vet cost factor, before I went ahead. CA isn't known
for low electric rates. Nat gas in most of the US is low in cost and
will remain that way. If an nat gas heater fails at 10 years, it
costs $500 for a new one, not $1300. In any place I know of in the
US that has nat gas available it would be a losing economic case to
switch from that to a heat pump. And what's the recovery time of that
heat pump? I can take a couple showers, run the washer, not miss a beat
because nat gas has a quick recovery. With a heat pump, I'd be hosed.
The only reason I see for going from nat gas to a heat pump is if you're
a crazy hippie.

California particularly in the hippie northwest is trying to ban
natural gas. They are paying a bonus for people to go all electric.
You know, electricity comes from the electricity fairy.

I suppose I can use this to calculate the costs with local utility rates:

https://www.energy.gov/energysaver/e...-water-heaters

It would be interesting to see what I get.

Deguza