Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default How much should replacing a gas water heater cost with a heat pump-based one?

In article ,
says...

I would thoroughly vet cost factor, before I went ahead. CA isn't known
for low electric rates. Nat gas in most of the US is low in cost and
will remain that way. If an nat gas heater fails at 10 years, it
costs $500 for a new one, not $1300. In any place I know of in the
US that has nat gas available it would be a losing economic case to
switch from that to a heat pump. And what's the recovery time of that
heat pump? I can take a couple showers, run the washer, not miss a beat
because nat gas has a quick recovery. With a heat pump, I'd be hosed.
The only reason I see for going from nat gas to a heat pump is if you're
a crazy hippie.

Yea, by the time you figuer in the cost of the water heater instalation
and it will need replacing about every 10 to 15 years you would have to
save a lot of money.

The house I used to live in had a gas water heater and it recovered much
faster than the electric one I have in this house.

One thing to factor in the cost is the company doing business and how
they want to rip you off. I had my electric water heater replaced a few
months ago. One company wanted $ 1800 to do it. Water heaters like the
one I put in cost about $ 500 to $ 600. I just could not see $ 900 to
$ 1000 labor . When I told them that , they told me they could do it
for $ 1300 but the warrenty would only be for 3 years instead of 6..
Another company did the whole job for $ 950. The labor was only $ 200
for 2 men to come out and do the job. The other was for the heater and
parts. They probably did mark those up some, but I thought it was
reasonable.

Many things that are hyped up can really cost especially if reworking
and not a new house. The instant heat water heaters are another if you
have to do a rewire. One other thing is that if you are in a place
where the power goes out, a 5 kw generator can be used to heat the water
for a while and then you can get a hot shower. With gas you either do
not need electricity or if you do, it is almost nothing and any
generator will power it.