Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff \(Sofa 2\) Brian Gaff \(Sofa 2\) is offline

Default Servicing a very old gas boiler - still done?

Hmm, I don't think so normally. If you just want to keep it going and you
have the sensors to protect the rest of the people in there, then do it, but
the way things are going such things might be too expensive to run soon in
any case.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"David" wrote in message
I've been asked about getting a very old gas boiler serviced.
I think it is from the 1970s when the house was built.
It certainly looks very much like the one we found when we moved into a
house in 1984.

For our old boiler a service was basically lifting out the very large
burners (about the size and shape of a loaf of bread with holes in the
top) and wire brushing them.

Run a vac around the area to clean out any dust and stuff and Robert is
your relative of choice.

The only problem we had was fine dust blocking up the pilot light jet
(remove, clean, replace) and the occasional thermocouple. Amazingly simple
bit of kit.

I think we had it done professionally (safety check) about every 5 years
and it just kept on working.

I would fettle it between the formal checks.

I'm now looking back about 15 years, so I have no idea if this is still
the case.
Is there a risk that the boiler could be condemned just because it is old?
If so, February is probably not the best time to have it serviced.

Cheers

Dave R