Posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.home.repair
VanguardLH[_2_] VanguardLH[_2_] is offline

Default bluetooth at 164 feet

Ralph Mowery wrote:

lid says...

If you can get Bluetooth at 30 feet, you're doing *very* well. My experience
with my Bluetooth headset (for listening to talking books or for hands-free
phone calls) is that it starts to drop out when I walk from one side of a
room to the other, even without any obstructions in between.

As mentioned there are several 'ranges' (really power of the
transmitter) .

It is possiable that as you have a head set device it was rated for
only 3 meters (just about 10 feet). Those were probably designed for
using short range items like the ear buds to a cell phone where you
keep the phone in your pocket and use the ear bud to talk and listen.
Same for the ones in a car for hands free operation.

You have to ballance the transmitted power with the battery life and
weight of the ear buds.

And since Bluetooth is vulnerable, you might want to consider the
distance for any sensitive transmission content, like when transferring
files via Bluetooth. A low-power BT device limits the distance for a
connection, like within your home, while a high-power BT connection in
your car means other cars on the road or folks nearby in the parking lot
could snoop. With a 10 meter range for class 2 BT devices, I've seen
where users relying on making/breaking a BT connection between their
car's BT head unit (or a device in the car) to flag when they leave
their car (they turn it off) or arrive back at their car (they turn it
on) will complain that the BT trigger is quite a bit away from where
they parked their car. Best is if the BT device in the car turns on and
off with the ignition key, but I've seen some cars where the BT radio
stays on for a while after turning off the car. For example, the user
might use a BT device plugged into a power port (USB port, or cig
lighter port) that stays on when the car is turned off. Plugging into a
cig lighter port that gets disconnected when the car turns off makes
sure the BT connection is broke with the smartphone (and the car locator
app on it) while still in the car, not after walking 10 meters away. If
all power ports stay on after turning off the car, you have to remember
to unplug the BT device in the car to break the BT connection to the
smartphone to get the BT-triggered app to mark THAT location for your
car instead of some distance away. You might think 10 meters is okay to
see your car in a parking lot, but not when the cars change and later
some taller car blocks your view of yours. You might try using your
remote lock fob to blink your car's lights or beep its horn, but not all
cars have a remote fob, especially old cars, plus if it's someplace
where lots of people are exiting then all of them are using their remote
fobs and cars are blinking and beeping all over the place (for example,
typical of everyone leaving a Disney theme park at closing and the
parking lots getting flashy and noisy).

You probably don't care if it's just audio over Bluetooth, but that
audio could be a link between the head unit in your car and your
smartphone and that could be sensitive business or content in that call.
The vulnerability doesn't even require pairing with the hacker's BT
device, and why paranoids disable BT in their smartphone until they want
to use it (but become vulnerable at that point). Of course, being
potentially vulnerable doesn't mandate you ever are.

https://insinuator.net/2020/02/criti...cve-2020-0022/
https://blog.malwarebytes.com/awaren...-knob-attacks/