Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default How much should replacing a gas water heater cost with a heatpump-based one?

On Wednesday, February 12, 2020 at 1:26:33 PM UTC-5, Deguza wrote:
I am planning to get quotes from contractors who do this type of work. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, where the cost of living is high, and contractors usually have to charge more.

From what I understand the work involves:

- Hooking up a new 50 gallon Rheem heat pump water heater to the existing lines.

- Getting a 30 amp 240v line to the point of use from the electrical panel. The panel is on the opposing side of the house, so it may involve getting into the crawl space under the house and making a hole through the wall to the point of use.

- Getting permits from the city.

I am estimating at the most 20 hours of labor.

How much should this cost?

Thanks,

Deguza

Probably 4X the cost of a nat gas water heater, if that's what's there now.
20 hours of labor? That's $2K right there. What is there now?