Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default surfacing a drive

On 11/02/2020 10:56, Gareth Evans wrote:
On 11/02/2020 10:44, Bev wrote:
On Tue, 11 Feb 2020 01:55:58 +0000, williamwright wrote:

I have a section of driveway that has a surface made of limestone that's
about a foot deep. It's OK and good enough except that part of it is on
a one in eight slope and when we have a downpour the finer bits of stone
get washed down the hill. I think the only solution is a proper surface,
but what? It is purely a utility area so appearance doesn't matter.
I don't want to spend a mint on this. The area I would do is ten foot
wide by about seventy feet long. Asphalt or what?

Brush some dry mix into the part on the slope to help bind it together?

For a hard wearing utility area I'd go for concrete especially if it has
to carry a regular load.Â* Bitmac is good for a residential drive taking
mostly domestic vehicles with the occasional heavy wagon.

What the relative costs are I don't know.

Concrete is not a good choice if you put down salt to counteract icy
conditions for it causes the concrete
to crumble away.

Only if it is particularly low grade concrete and you add a heck of a
lot of salt. A local village had new fancy coloured concrete paving
slabs laid which never really looked up to the job and turned out to be
easily destroyed by salt and freeze thaw action the first winter.

My drive is ribbed concrete and slope about 20%. It has survived salt
and is well behaved. I gather that modern practice is not to have such
ribs any more. Neighbours was done by the same contractor last year and
they now do a smooth finish which resists salt attack even better.

My drive is at least 4 decades old and shows no signs of the concrete
deteriorating despite occasionally getting the coal wagon on it. It was
laid in rafts about 12'x20' with about 1" gaps between them.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown