Posted to rec.woodworking
Markem[_2_] Markem[_2_] is offline

Default Wide shelving advice needed

On Tue, 11 Feb 2020 14:41:14 -0500, Clare Snyder
wrote:

On Tue, 11 Feb 2020 12:46:38 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 2/11/2020 8:39 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
whit3rd writes:
On Monday, February 10, 2020 at 3:21:15 PM UTC-8, Ivan Vegvary wrote:
Tearing out sagging shelves in a 10ft. by 6ft. pantry. Would jike to put 18" deep shelves on the back wall. These would not be "cabinet" quality construction.
So, rip 18" wide plywood? Particle board? Bisquit join solid lumber?

Solid is the strongest, and you have the option to put a pretty wood on the leading edge.
Knotty softwood is the inexpensive way to go (vinyl surface
can be applied so the occasional leaky can won't hurt the wood). Biscuits are good.

Plywood
is weaker than solid wood (half the grain runs the wrong way).

Scratching head...

Which actually makes it stronger.

Stronger and dimensionally stable. Much, much, much less likely to
split along the grain

Or "cup". I like Baltic plywood - higher ply count - and hardwood
(generally birch) all the way through. More expensive too.

I really like my bifold door shelves. They are a box structure - VERY
stiff. Light weight too. Most of mine are Luan/mahogany faced but
hardboard faced works just as well - they have a cardboard honeycomb
in them to help make them even more rigid.

Finding a ten foot long door might be a bit pricy though.