Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Wide shelving advice needed

On 2/10/2020 5:21 PM, Ivan Vegvary wrote:
Tearing out sagging shelves in a 10ft. by 6ft. pantry. Would jike to put 18" deep shelves on the back wall. These would not be "cabinet" quality construction.
So, rip 18" wide plywood? Particle board? Bisquit join solid lumber?
Any thoughts appreciated.

My specifically did not want deep shelves on her new pantry. We went
15" deep for the shelves.
18" will be wasteful, only 2 lengths out of a sheet of plywood if you go
18" You can get 3 with much less waste if you go just under 16".

I would go plywood, maybe even MDO, Medium Density Overlay. It has a
outer veneer very similar to formica, it looks like a brown paper sack
and is thin but it is very nice to work with and paints well. The inner
plies are the same as normal plywood. NOTHING like MDF.

Then stiffen with solid wood attached perpendicular to the plywood.