Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fredxx[_3_] Fredxx[_3_] is offline

Default Driving at night

On 10/02/2020 13:13:28, polygonum_on_google wrote:
On Monday, 10 February 2020 12:52:23 UTC, Tim Lamb wrote:

I have this personal belief that using aids of pretty much any
sort leads to a reduction in capability.

No optician has confirmed this belief but none have put forward
convincing arguments for the alternative and their livelihood
depends on sales:-)

I spend most of my time outdoors where the ability to focus close
up is not required. I don't suffer from headaches/eyestrain and
carry reading glasses on a neck string. Driving is more of a
challenge as digital dashboard displays are blurred but speedo is
clear and automation takes care of the rest.

Interesting view.

People who have one leg shorter than the other can end up with
horrible musculoskeletal issues because of the twisting induced. A
simple heel lift/raised shoe, obviously an aid, can prevent that.

I'd suggest that it is important to consider each and every one of
the aid options individually and not have blanket attitude.

As for glasses and driving, I am shortsighted and can see the
dashboard, even the smallest details, well enough, without glasses.
But distance is another matter. I probably can pass the standard
eyesight test but why on earth would I question whether I need
glasses day by day, even minute by minute, depending on cloud cover?
(Just went horribly dark here.) Of course I wouldn't. Wear them and
be done.

But I purposely chose frameless with a cut-off at the bottom.
Frameless avoids any possibility of a frame getting in the way (even
if it is not a major issue for most people, most of the time). And
the cut off means I can see the dashboard underneath the lens which
is easier on my eyes than trying to focus through my glasses on
something close.

I'm with Tim here. A lot of deterioration of sight is through lack of
use of the accommodation muscles. While the lens does harden my sight
deteriorate most when sedentary and focussed onto a screen with a blank
wall behind. Since then I choose to sit where if I look over a monitor I
have a distant view.

The worst killer for accommodation is varifocal lenses. The eye muscles
become very lazy.