Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

Default Driving at night

On 10/02/2020 02:09, Marland wrote:
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 7 Feb 2020 23:43:24 +0000, Steve Walker wrote:

People who do not wear reflective items when crossing roads in odd

places,

Yep, most pedestrians do wear dark clothing. Impossible to see at
night with no street lights. Don't carry a torch or have any retro
reflective clothing trim or arm bands or something.

Had an a situation last month in narrow country lane on a filthy night ,

observed a flashing white approaching which while annoying is now accepted
to be the light used by cyclists, dipped the headlights which reduced the
ability to see far ahead and slowed down.
As the light got closer slowed further and kept well over to give room for
the approaching cyclist but
said to the missus €œ is that sod wanting the whole road he looks like he
is cycling on the wrong side€
at that moment the pool from the dipped beam reached the position of the
flashing lamp. to reveal
a pedestrian completely dressed in dark clothing holding a flashing torch
who was correctly following the old advice to face oncoming traffic on the
same side.
If he had held a steady torch I would have realised and not mistaken him
for a cyclist approaching on the other side, fortunately we were going slow
enough by then to easily move out and give him space but I have seem others
race along the same lane when I was walking along it wearing a reflective
tabard and a bright but steady torch who dont slow much to pass you.

Why use a flashing torch if walking? You surely want to see where you
are going, so a steady light is best. When walking if I see or hear
something comming ahead I point the torch in that direction but dip it
as I ould in a car once the oncoming vehicle appears to have
acknowledged my presence.

GH

--
djc

(–€Ì¿Ä¹Ì¯–€Ì¿ Ì¿)
No low-hanging fruit, just a lot of small berries up a tall tree.