Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Driving at night

On Mon, 10 Feb 2020 14:16:46 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
T i m wrote:
As for glasses and driving, I am shortsighted and can see the
dashboard, even the smallest details, well enough, without glasses. But
distance is another matter.

I'm the opposite but wear cheapo reading glasses all the time and can
still / better read things at a distance than without them?

Ready made reading specs have plus lenses. Various strengths.

I think these are 2.5's?

If you are
hyperopic (your eyes focus beyond infinity) all you're doing is correcting
that.

I've not been told I have that that I am aware of?

Ready made may be OK for that provided both eyes are the same and
you have no astigmatism.

Slight but not enough to make individual lenses worth it (seemingly).

eg, Even with prescription glasses on my left eye is always just
slightly weaker (focus) than my right. I think the issue is with the
macular in my left eye, not the lens as such.

But given how cheap prescription ones are - and
how important a regular eye check is for picking up problems (and not just
with the eyes) makes little sense not to get them.

I have got them Dave, 3 pairs (one for each role, close-up working,
std reading and long distance / driving) but find them less
comfortable than the cheapo readers and overall, less convenient than
just having the one pair that stay on my face all the time.

I did swap over to my soldering glasses earlier whilst soldering the
wires directly onto a vehicle tracker PCB because the surface mount
socket had been ripped off the board. Because it was soooo small, I
really needed my bigger magnifier lamp but managed without.

Sitting in front of this 17" screen and closing my left eye it hardly
makes any difference (still clear and sharp). Closing just my right
eye and the text is still sharp as such but distorted slightly (and
slightly darker). When I tried it last, the professionally made
reading glasses weren't much better [1] ... and didn't fit as well.[2]
;-(

Cheers, T i m

[1] They might be slightly less scratched than these are now. ;-)

[2] These Readyspecs stay on my head no matter what I'm doing (upside
down etc) and being frameless (and with translucent arms) don't
interfere with my peripheral vision at all.