Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default what cell phone for under $ 130

On Monday, February 10, 2020 at 10:39:00 AM UTC-5, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article ,
says...

If it connects to the wifi system for data and does not use the 3 GB of
data when on wifi, I doubt I will ever run out of data.

Just depends on how you use it, what apps, etc. Make sure you go into
the Google Playstore settings and set it to only update apps over wifi.
I have mine set to not update at all, instead I check once a week or
so and update when I choose to. Under data usage, there is a setting
for data saver. If you turn it on, it will prevent apps from downloading
most stuff on the data network, unless you're using the app. Many apps,
like news for example, update periodically so that the latest stuff is
there for you instantly. With DS set to on, it will only update when
and if you open the app.

Thanks for the tip on that. I will set the phone so it updates over the
wifi. My other phone did that. I am using a cable modem/router with wifi
at the house. The speed of the modem is listed at 200 but I often get
about 230 whatever kind of bits so it is very fast.

As mentiioned I do not think that I have ever needed the cell tower data
for the other smart phone so that 3 gb should last me forever. If I do
run out, and the speed drops to 150 kb, that is about 3 times the speed
of the fastest old dial up modem I had many years ago before DSL and
cable.

I signed up for the 3 month plan and if all goes well I plan on going
with the whole year at a time plan when the 3 months are up. Hopefully
I did it right and we will get the 'rebate' money then. They way I took
it that 'rebate' is applied to the next time we renew a plan.

Yes, but it's supposed to show up before that. It said two weeks
after you purchase it. So, we'll see. I'll check in a couple weeks.

The phone I have keeps getting news that I do not want. I leave it on
the charger and may only pick it up every 2 or 3 days when I leave the
house. It has a screen full of unwanted news.

You can delete many of the apps you don't want and get rid of it.
There are some that wind up on these phones from either the manufacturer
or the cell phone companies that sell them, that you can't get rid of.
We call that bloatware. Facebook is an example. It's on my load and
it can't be removed, but it's not doing anything but sit there. It does
get updated frequently though, like most apps. If you were doing that
using plan data, it would be wasting data for nothing.

My land line phone is by
the cable modem. It can be set to send the land line number to the
smart phone at the same time. That way if I am out of the house, the
cell phone will ring, or I could jut pick it up while around the house,
but I have several of the land line phones invarious rooms.