Posted to uk.d-i-y
jon lopgel jon lopgel is offline

Default Driving at night

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
Tim Lamb wrote:
You can get glasses for astigmatism.

Yes. I try to avoid wearing glasses for activities other than TV or
reading etc.

Why?

I have this personal belief that using aids of pretty much any sort leads
to a reduction in capability.

No optician has confirmed this belief but none have put forward convincing
arguments for the alternative and their livelihood depends on sales:-)

When I was first prescribed glasses for my short sightedness
as an early teenager, the ophthalmologist did tell me that I
shouldn't use them for reading. None of the other later
ophthalmologist could see any point in that recommendation
although I did find it more convenient to read without my
glasses. I always used ophthalmologist in those days because
that was what my parents thought was best, so they never
had any financial incentive for what they recommended.

I spend most of my time outdoors where the ability to focus close up is
not required. I don't suffer from headaches/eyestrain and carry reading
glasses on a neck string. Driving is more of a challenge as digital
dashboard displays are blurred but speedo is clear and automation takes
care of the rest.

--
Tim Lamb