Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Driving at night

In article ,
Steve Walker wrote:
I have this personal belief that using aids of pretty much any sort
leads to a reduction in capability.

I can see a possibility for that, in that the eyes may not have to work
so hard at the extremes and the muscles could lose condition and the
ability to do so.

The muscles in a perfect eye are totally relaxed for distance vision. They
operate to increase the power of the lens for close work. (That why an
optician uses muscle relaxant drugs on a kid when doing a sight test.)

If you are hyperopic you have to use those muscles to focus on the
distance. Hence not correcting that can lead to strain.

A combination of those muscles failing and the lens hardening means
someone with otherwise perfect sight looses the ability to see close up
with age.

An optician pal of mine joked that about 35 years was the true lifespan of
man. Where they can still see in the distance for hunting, and repair
their arrows etc at night. And in the case of women, bear children. ;-)

--
* I like you. You remind me of when I was young and stupid

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.