Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Driving at night

On 10/02/2020 12:46, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
Â* Tim Lamb wrote:
You can get glasses for astigmatism.

Yes. I try to avoid wearing glasses for activities other than TV or
reading etc.

Why?

I have this personal belief that using aids of pretty much any sort
leads to a reduction in capability.

I can see a possibility for that, in that the eyes may not have to work
so hard at the extremes and the muscles could lose condition and the
ability to do so.

Even if that is not the case, using glasses all the time conditions you
to expecting them and leaves you feeling that you are struggling
without, whereas if you spend long periods without, you are used to it
and don't struggle.

On a different point, a child with a "lazy" eye can use glasses to
correct their vision for a few years. Using them for that period
actually improves the ability of the eye with and without glasses and as
they reach about 8 years, that improvement becomes permanent and they
can choose whether or not to continue wearing them. If they do not wear
the glasses in the first place or not for long enough, the brain learns
to disregard the weak eye and it remains permanently weak.

No optician has confirmed this belief but none have put forward
convincing arguments for the alternative and their livelihood depends on
sales:-)

I spend most of my time outdoors where the ability to focus close up is
not required. I don't suffer from headaches/eyestrain and carry reading
glasses on a neck string. Driving is more of a challenge as digital
dashboard displays are blurred but speedo is clear and automation takes
care of the rest.

In my case astigmatism means that I am partially shortsighted and
partially longsighted and the combination means that I can do without
glasses for most things - although I prefer to wear them when driving,
but am legal to drive without if I unexpectedly had to for some reason.

SteveW