Posted to uk.d-i-y
John John is offline

Default Driving at night

Had an a situation last month in narrow country lane on a filthy
night ,

observed a flashing white approaching which while annoying is now
accepted to be the light used by cyclists, dipped the headlights which
reduced the ability to see far ahead and slowed down.
As the light got closer slowed further and kept well over to give room
for the approaching cyclist but
said to the missus €œ is that sod wanting the whole road he looks
like he is cycling on the wrong side€
at that moment the pool from the dipped beam reached the position of
the flashing lamp. to reveal
a pedestrian completely dressed in dark clothing holding a flashing
torch who was correctly following the old advice to face oncoming
traffic on the same side.
If he had held a steady torch I would have realised and not mistaken
him for a cyclist approaching on the other side, fortunately we were
going slow enough by then to easily move out and give him space but I
have seem others race along the same lane when I was walking along it
wearing a reflective tabard and a bright but steady torch who dont
slow much to pass you.

GH

Scarey!