Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Driving at night

On Mon, 10 Feb 2020 05:13:28 -0800 (PST), polygonum_on_google
wrote:

snip

As for glasses and driving, I am shortsighted and can see the dashboard, even the smallest details, well enough, without glasses. But distance is another matter.

I'm the opposite but wear cheapo reading glasses all the time and can
still / better read things at a distance than without them?

I probably can pass the standard eyesight test but why on earth would I question whether I need glasses day by day, even minute by minute, depending on cloud cover? (Just went horribly dark here.) Of course I wouldn't. Wear them and be done.

Quite.

For my last eye test I was given three prescriptions, one for closeup
/ fine work, one for everyday and one for distance and had 3 pairs of
glasses made-up to suit (online, not that expensive).

But I purposely chose frameless with a cut-off at the bottom. Frameless avoids any possibility of a frame getting in the way (even if it is not a major issue for most people, most of the time). And the cut off means I can see the dashboard underneath the lens which is easier on my eyes than trying to focus through my glasses on something close.

I've never actually worn the prescription ones because they are
heavier than these frameless eBay jobbies (they are all moulded as one
from clear plastic) and I CBA to faff about changing glasses.

I have a few pairs of X4 mag (I think) that I use when doing close-up
work but I'm rarely doing that unpredictably.

I have never had proper prescription glasses because the chances are
they would last as long as most of my sunglasses, less than a day
before I loose / sit on them / drop them. ;-(

Because I rarely take these readers off, they seem to last a long time
.... or could it be because I have another 5 pairs 'spare'. ;-)

Cheers, T i m