Posted to rec.woodworking
Sonny Sonny is offline

Default Rant

On Saturday, February 8, 2020 at 7:51:27 PM UTC-6, DerbyDad03 wrote:

All you need is the right router jig...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBXn-0MjiQI

Or make it in sections...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAefitoScbY

Lots of videos via this Google search...

youtube diy wooden nut

Yeah, all sorts of videos, but they are either too much prep work, materials, or set-up. None are on the easy side for the size nut I need. I'll probably have the machinist give it a try and I'll try carving one, also.

I think the best tip I've discovered is in this video (at about the 3 minute mark) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbY6El9Pzcs , where he soaks the stock in mineral oil for a week, before working the wood. Easier & smoother cutting if the wood is softened, first. BTW, the tap and die set he uses is this expensive brand, no doubt high quality tools - https://www.fine-tools.com/gewind.html

Sonny